1. I am fortunate enough to meet a very petite, bright, young girl in my class 2 years ago.
2. I am writing this dedication since it was her birthday yesterday and she was in a bad mood.
3. Throughout my 2 years in the International Stream, she was like my mental support and problem solver (a role since usurped by Mr Ashwin Narayan). She is funny, good natured, naive (sometimes bordering childish) and humorous.
4. She's the shortest in class, but don't let her height deceive you because in the small body of hers, lays hidden a vast amount of talent, intelligence and persistence. She's kind, caring and loving.
5. Out of the many students I met, she is one of the best English writers/speakers/readers. Her ability to comprehend even the most difficult of passages and poems probably makes her so understanding and good in the language. She can turn a mundane 1-page-required essay of a candy into a 6-page romantic story. Her humongous amount of imagination and creativity makes her one of the best students in class in terms of writing skills. (Though of course, I would rate Law Zenna as a better writer.)
6. This small girl's most disarming talent is probably her ability to digress and diverge from whatever subject we are talking about. Whenever she felt that the convo is going the wrong way, she magically changes the subject subtly to avoid answering embarassing questions.
7. Although recently her mood swings are becoming more and more annoying and her irritating aforementioned talent is getting on my nerves, she will always remain in my heart as one of my "bestest" friends.
8. Well, I really have to many things to say about her. Things that cannot be expressed in mere words.
9. Happy Belated Birthday, my dear dear dear mentor, sister and confidante.
The Storm In Me - Written by Looi Kian SengDark clouds roll in and thunder strikes,
Huge gusts of winds blow and the willow trees ruffle.
The badgers scamper home while the beavers burrowed in their holes,
I, on the other hand stood there, shuddering and waiting.
I waited and waited and waited.
Soon, huge drops of rainwater fell on my naked chest.
The drops of rainwater pierced through my thin skin, into this heart of mine,
And all I could do was to bring this storm I am feeling to her.
But I know she has lived under her own pouring rain,
Yet under the cold piercing raindrops, her heart never changes.
She can walk away from what hangs overhead,
Always with a cheery face and a warm expression on that wet face of hers.
Under the dark clouds, she is the candle that guides me.
Under the cold winds and the splattering raindrops, she is the flickering warm flame.
Forever there, giving out heat and light,
Like a shining beacon of hope.
Her soft hands easily pushes the dark clouds away.
Her sweet voice puts thunder to shame.
Her presence makes the heavens stop crying.
Her kind heart makes rainbows appear.
Not under any storm that I will ever live beneath,
Could ever change what I hold here inside of me.
Not under any storms that I have lost this angel’s radiance,
To this angel out there, braving the storm like a warrior,
Happy Birthday.10. As to who I am talking about, lets keep it a secret between you and me, ok?
Yours Sincerely,
Signed,
Looi Kian Seng.
Labels: Birthdays and Dedications