1. It pained me when I click "Inbox" at my personal email homepage because what I normally saw was a hideous amount of emails notifying me of friend requests, private messages, comment notifications and birthday alerts from the various social networking sites I have registered at.
2. I had to sift through every single page of my inbox to find any emails that are urgent or important.
3. These social networking sites are becoming menaces intended to destroy my inbox. I had to delete hundreds of them every month.
4. Social networking sites are convienient tools for people to find long lost friends and maintain contact with them. It is also ok for friends to "add" each other.
5. However, the line stops there. A social networking site is not for people who randomly add strangers like its some sort of competition and call these people friends. It has degraded into a shameless contest where people COMPETE with each other to see who has more "friends".
6. The most disgusting thing is these people barely or do not KNOW each other. They just "added" each other because they have a common friend's friend's friend. Its really funny to see comments like, "Mind to intro?".
7. If you do not already know the person, then don't "add" him! Keep to your own circle of friends!
8. Its really irritating for people like ME who are serious in contacting long lost primary school friends to sift through the obscene amounts of friend requests from strangers and friends of my friends' friends' friends.
9. The purpose of social networking sites has degraded into a mere competition. Some even have the audacity to create a SECOND profile to "add" more friends after they reached their first profile's limit which is currently 1000 friends in friendster.
10. The most astounding thing is out of the 1000 friends, 100 are the ones the owner of the profile sees in school, 200 are the ones they know outside school, 20 are relatives, 100 are the people remotely known to the owner and the remaining 580 people are strangers. Well not really strangers if you consider the fact that they are friends of the owner's friends' friends' friends.
11. The most annoying thing is that these people who have like 1131231 profiles try to add the closest 100 everytime she/he creates a new profile! So you have like 1131231 profiles of the same person!
12. Secondly, the comment or testimonial system seems to be severely ABUSED. People tend to send really silly comments which are OBVIOUSLY copied and pasted from someone else's comment box.
13. For example, something like
☆ ╱╲ ╱╲ ☆ ☆ ☆
╱╳+ ▲╱ ╲ ╱╲ ☆ ☆
╱╱ ◢◣+ ╳ ╲ ☆
╱ + ◢█◣ / ╲☆ ☆
☆ ◢██◣聖誕節 ˙˙˙
___▂▂█▂▂__預祝 聖誕節幸福快樂﹋ Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
can be found in many people's profiles and every year near Christmas, same comments like the above appear in almost everyone's profiles.
14. I cannot imagine the time people spend to coordinate such terribly complicated keyboard strokes into coherent PICTURES. Might as well just send them a photo of a christmas tree.
15. Don't forget the comments like the below which surfaces every now and then.
I am sending you comments but they come with a price!
1 comment----RM1.50
2 comment----RM2.50
3 comment----RM 3.50
4 Comment----RM 4.50
5 Comment----RM 5.50 Plus One free!
So you now owes me RM1.50! REMEMBER TO PAY UP AR!!!
16. Other than the horrible english used above, why the hell must I even consider paying for comments? Isn't it a mark of sincerity to send people comments? When have we become so cheap that we have to PAY for comments?
17. Thirdly, people often say they are "PLAYING" friendster. Come on, its not a GAME. Its a social networking site! Whats so much to play?
18. Of course, I must not forget that now, in order to gain more members, social networking sites have begun to offer java or word based applications like ZOMBIELAND where one can kill your friends or Pirate Mania where one steers a ship around the seven seas. *Coughfacebookcough*.
19. W.h.a.t. t.h.e. [insert profanity here] does pirates have to do with meeting long lost friends?
20. Lastly, the most gross thing in Friendster or Facebook is people begun to put up silly screen names. I have a friend who has an absolutely wonderful name in real life, but her screenname is
aBANANA aka YUN . What do bananas have anything to do with her name, I really do not know.
21. People adding strangers just for the sake of it, silly and often repeated comment templates, profane amount of useless comments and bulletins, foolish and pathetic screennames, boring and most disturbing java applications are only a small portion of the problems plaguing these social networking sites.
22. I really felt like slapping the inventor of social networking sites for causing me the agony of clicking "MARK ALL" and "DELETE MARKED" for a most frustrating amount of times and not to mention the waste of my precious time, every single time I visited my email inbox over the past 8 months!
PS: As of now, I have 2600 useless friendster/facebook email messages accumulated. I really don't bother deleting them after 8 months of agony. I just redirect them to another folder called SPAM!