True or false?
Someone told me that I am quite dictatorial as the President. Well, to a certain extent, I am not afraid to say that I am. Sometimes, circumstances dictate that I HAVE to make decisions without having to go through all the discussions, consultation and voting that the democratic system offers.
Democracy itself is a mixture between dictatorship and anarchy. When a person is elected into a high position by the people, I believe that the constituents should put full faith into what the person does. They should believe in the decisions the person makes, not question them at every chance they have.
A perfectly democratic system of government only can exist in a utopia or a perfect world. It is impossible for a leader to put every decision he has to make through discussions, consultations and voting. That will bring about an endless stream of bureaucracy and red tape. In the end, nothing gets done as the leader is busy going around pestering for everyone to vote. That, my friend is the greatest flaw of democracy and at the same time, the beauty of it where everyone's voice can be heard.
The question here is, why bother going through the whole process, waste a whole lot of time and at the same time, risk offending a ton of people when in the end, you are just going to make the same decision?
It is difficult for a leader to balance between satisfying everyone and hearing their voices and making an informed decision. Sometimes, the people are just so confused and misguided that they will propose all sorts of ridiculous ideas that the leader knows, will not accomplish anything. When a leader is elected, the people should allow him considerable amount of free reign to make certain decisions.
It is nigh impossible for someone to gain universal satisfaction or popularity. What a leader can do is to get the best out of whatever limited resources he/she is given and hope for the best to happen.
With that being said, I do agree that a certain decision I made maybe abit too hasty. However, I do believe that it was a right decision and will stand by it in the next Board meeting.
Labels: Musings and Thoughts