-My name is Kian Seng
-Doing it with style since 31st Dec '93
-Capricornian through and through
-Professor of Procrastination
-10 A*s and 1 A for IGCSEs
-Year 11 of IIS for 2009/2010
-President of the Student Council
-Interact Club Director
-Vice Captain of Mars
-Insatiably Passionate
-Endlessly Curious
-Fantastically Critical
-Fiercely Protective
-Annoyingly Assertive
-Amazingly Rambunctious
-Flamboyantly Arrogant
Not enough? Go figure
--------------------A lot of you are saying, "it's just a book."
This country went through wars before life as we know it was set up because of what people wrote--Thomas Payne's Common Sense, the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution to name just a few.
Books, pamphlets, what society elevates to such a high level, etc. all effect the times and society itself. Having young teenage girls read Twilight and see Edward as such a "charming prince" and "O-M-G Vampires are like so sexy!" will take it's toll on their relationships.
Stephanie Meyer's writing is immature, under-developed, and grammatically incorrect. She does have an interesting imagination, but she lacks a lot of creativity (Calling something EJ for Edward and Jacob or Reneesme, anyone????). She created a very 1950s-eque story-line here, where the man is all-knowing, and the woman looks to him for guidance. He's also the one who is sexually in control and she's reduced to a lust-filled creature of hormones. Yes, it may be a pre-teen or teenage fictional book, but why shouldn't we read a fictional book with a feminist perspective? Why shouldn't we look at it as being sincerely perverse? Edward consistently thinks of himself as over 100 years old and readily acknowledges that Bella is 17. Statuory rape, pedophilia, spousal abuse--what a wonderful relationship to look foward to for all of those young pre-teens.
I personally think the blog writer has an excellent grasp on Twilight, and for those of you who do not know how to respond to a critical reading of a literary work without insults, you should not bother commenting at all because it is completely inappropriate to call the blogwriter an idiot for expressing an opinion that is different from yours.
-----------
It's so true! Stephenie Meyer must have bought into the whole idea that women belong in the kitchen or something, because the guys are totally chauvanistic and the girls are suppose to look pretty. Plus, teens are going to expect this huge level of commitment when they are just supposed to be casual.
-----------
well, everyone knows that the twilight series is something that feeds your heart, not your mind, so i guess that's why their living on ideals.
I myself have read all 4 books and must say that, though it does give you butterflies sometimes, but as soon as you start to dig deeper, there's nothing you can find. All in all, a teen romance series is all it is. That's why i laugh at others who say that stephenie could be the next jk rowling because, as far as i could see, she's nowhere near jk's talent and skill.
anyway, that's just my opinion. I don't mean to be harsh about it. I also don't expect any of you to agree. For those of you who are somewhat insulted by this, i'm sorry, but you cant tell me what to think.
So need I say more on how pathetic Stephanie Meyer is?And Bella really DOES have no life. All those book she read are books she makes [crappy] analogies to.
She does not read anything else except books that continue the storyline. She does not read anything else or read to comprehand. She only reads books that help her progress, which is the same books kids are FORCED to read for school.
Other than that, no other talents. NOTHING. Cooking doesn't count because she does it as an obligation (despite the fact Charlie has lived without a woman for a nice long time)
Bella is a weak, pathetic character. Edward is an abusive, stalking fairy.
The real version of Edward Cullen is Ted Bundy.
- ----------------
Honestly I'm a teenager and I have to also say, Bella is not normale. Teenagers don't act the way she does at all. and if they do they're most likely getting picked on all the time in a normale high school, but Smeyers wouldn't know a normale high school if it she to went to one herself. We warn girls about this stuff, because I have no dout that SMeyers thought it was realistic, so speck for yourself when you say 'It's Just A BOOKKK!!11!!' in your next comment, because we're all diffrent and some teenage girls do take this stuff for real.
In fact their was a seventeen year old girl who had sex with a guy named Edward and named her daughter after Bellas in the book. They're are people who think it's more than book.
-----------
I had a fantastic relationship with my fiancee until these stupid books. After the movie came out she bought all four and read them in one sitting (or as close to that as you can get)
Once upon a time we had shared chores such as cooking and cleaning but after twilight I was supposed to do everything for her because I wasn't "as caring as mike"
Once upon a different time we used to be able to have conversations about book choices and actually be able to discuss. Now when she forcibly enters the topic of these books I am forced to agree or hear hours of "UR SO DUM EDWARD IS SOOO HOT I LOVE HIM"
Ficton or not, people do tend to take on traits of "perfection" and try to project them on others and frankly the creation of unrealistic characters only makes it harder for normal people to deal with the expectations we already have, let alone the expectations from a book.
------------------
Yeah, I agree. I started reading it and I liked the idea and all of the characters--except for Bella. I couldn't finish the book because I just couldn't stand her character. She's always so desparate and needy all the time, and becomes EXTREMELY dependent when she starts dating Edward. I guess I just prefer stronger women characters, but that's just me!
----------------hahha that is so true, i never liked Bella... did you notice how she whines the entire book? and when he leaves her in new moon, her world falls apart. i'm like, yelling at the book "you are a pathetic kid! he is not the center of the universe!" and it's even worse when he comes back because she just immediately forgives him, not even thanking Jacob for sticking it through the whole time seh was teary eyed and suicidal.
i think stephanie meyer just crushed a lot of guy's dreams with her books.
one of my friends actually broke up with her boyfriend because (i quote directly) "She told me she wanted to be with someone more like Edward.) lame
----------------
i totally agree, the vampires and the werewolves were the actual protagonists in the books, Bella being such a sorry excuse of a female lead, she seems so dumb at times, (in New Moon, when she takes ages to find out the truth abt Jacob).....and soo confused (when she madly kisses Jacob in Eclipse) , i wish Ms. Meyer had given our girl a little more spine n brains to figure out what ( or who) she actually wanted from her otherwise pathetic life.
=------------
Oh and the best of all comments:
Okay... (I am an English Major)
I absolutely agree that 'Twilight' is a poor depiction of romance. I read the book, watched the movie, couldn't stand either. I agree that the characters are screwed up, which is nice to have flawed characters because it makes them relateable.
But Bella? Dear God. I've been a klutz all of my life. I hold the record for most broken bones (in my family), nearly been run over by a car, cliff dive on a regular basis and don't need a guy to save me. I survived all on my own. All I have to say is if Bella is that clumsy, then she's must be destined to die off in the first place, am I right? It's called Natural Selection for a reason, some genes aren't meant to be passed on to future generations.
And yes, Bella is a lifeless, obsessed, creeper. I understand that when you've got a crush, you fantasize about the guy. I know I have about several, but yeah. Creeper! I have my guy and I don't sit and rave about his features. And if I do (in poetry), I, at least am creative and try not to repeat myself.
In conclusion, looking at Twilight as an English major, it's a terrible read. I know that it's getting people to read, which I'm all for, but read something good. The characters, though flawed, are overall unrealistic, and the rescues are totally repetative. Thank you Erin for this article, you are indeed fabulous!
P.S. I work right next to the Goat Rocks, there are no Grizzly bears, just laid back black bears. Read something in which the author actually does research.
Labels: Musings and Thoughts